My gift to you this Winter Solstice Day is my famous and ever-evolving Ayurvedic Chai Latte recipe. Find all of the ingredients, my cooking process, and even the nutritional data below.
My husband Walter and I both love Indian chai, and we both have sought out the best cup of chai from travels in India as well as closer to home in Vancouver.
In the end, we both like this recipe best, but I encourage you to play with the ingredients and cooking process to create it to your taste. That is the Joy of cooking!
These ingredients will balance your Vāta, Pitta and Kapha doṣa-s. To make it less Vāta (less anxiety promoting), do replace Assam tea with rooibos.
Makes 16 cups = 2 kettles of hot water to fill a big soup pot
- whole cardamom pods – 3 T
- whole black pepper – 2 T
- cinnamon – 3" stick x 4 sticks
- cloves – ½ T
- fennel – 1 T
- 16 cups water (through the reduction process, you will lose 3+ cups of liquid)
- fresh ginger – 3“ (crushed in blender after you boil all other spices in hot water for 1 hour)
- 4+ cups of milk of your choice – Look at the colour of the chai and make it that creamy colour
- maple syrup – 1+ T (optional and to taste)
- tea – rooibos tea or Assam black tea - ¼ cup (or less with a longer steep)